This two-seater reconnaissance and artillery spotting aircraft was designed by Willy Sabresky,hired by LUFT VERKEHRS GESELSCHAFT ( Aero transport company) after he resigned from DFW,where he had been responsible for the C V.
No wonder that he designed for his new Company a refinement of the C V: the CVI. Somewhat lighter and better streamlined, the prototype made its maiden flight in Jannuary 1918. The aircraft soon became a favourite with the crews, although it only soldiered for 6 months before the war ended.
On the other hand its flattering reputation kept on until the twenties in civilian use.The engine was the 230 HP Benz IV. The armament was a Parabellum machine gun manned by the observer and a fixed LMG 08/15 Spandau on the right hand side of the engine cowling.
|The LVG CVI 9041/18|
The example under restoration belongs to the Musée de l'Air et de l'Espace. Using this fantastic opportunity, a reproduction is built according to the original.
The reproduction will represent an LVG CVI flown by Lt Weymar & Lt Haselhoff in September 1018.
|Works on the LVG C.VI|
See the "News" page for the latest infos on the restoration.
|Details of the restoration|
|Pieces of history|
The restoration of such an old machine is also an opportunity to rediscover its history.
Painted on each side, the constructor name and the type: LVG CVI, the serial number and the year of construction: 9041, 1918.
The weight specifications were painted on the left side of every german plane.
Control stamp found on the left bottom wing main front spar.
|Engine:||Benz BZ IV 230 hp|
|Armament:||LMG 08/15 machine gun and Parabellum fitted on turret|